[Gluster-users] active/active failover

Stefan Solbrig stefan.solbrig at ur.de
Tue Dec 12 22:09:16 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, I'm aware that using “plain” hardware with replication is more what GlusterFS is for. I cannot talk about prices where in detail, but for me, it evens more or less out.   Moreover, I have more SAN that I'd rather re-use (because of Lustre) than buy new hardware.   I'll test more to understand what precisely "replace-brick" changes.  I understand the mode of operation in case of replicated volumes.  But I was surprised (in a good way) that is was also working for distributed volumes, i.e., I was surprised that gluster does not complain of the new brick already contains data.  It there some technical documentation of the inner workings of glusterfs?

This leads me to the question: If I wanted to extend my current installation (the one that uses SANs) with more standard hardware:   is is possible to mix  replicated and non-replicated bricks?  (I assume no... but I still dare to ask.)

best wishes,
Stefan