[Gluster-users] SAMBA VFS module for GlusterFS crashes

Riccardo Murri riccardo.murri at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 13:57:05 UTC 2017

Dear Anoop,

thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

> I think you are hitting a bug[1] from vfs module for GlusterFS inside Samba during a realpath()
> call.
>
> This regression got in when glfs_realpath() was modified in GlusterFS[2] to correctly handle memory
> allocation and corresponding freeing of string arguments. And this particular change is present from
>  GlusterFS version 3.7.17 in 3.7 series, in 3.9 series and all above versions (but not present in
> 3.8 series).
>
> So if you are using any of the above mentioned GlusterFS versions(which contains the above change
> for glfs_realpath()), then you are recommended to install Samba version >= 4.4.9 in 4.4 series, >=
> 4.5.2 or any versions from higher series like 4.6, 4.7 etc which contains the fix for this crash.

I'm using GlusterFS 3.12.3 from the GlusterFS Ubuntu PPA [1]::

    $ apt-cache policy glusterfs-client
    glusterfs-client:
      Installed: 3.12.3-ubuntu1~xenial1
      Candidate: 3.12.3-ubuntu1~xenial1
      Version table:
     *** 3.12.3-ubuntu1~xenial1 500
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gluster/glusterfs-3.12/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         3.7.6-1ubuntu1 500
            500 http://nova.clouds.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages

So this should contain the fix already?  Or is the fix Samba-side?

[1] https://launchpad.net/~gluster/+archive/ubuntu/glusterfs-3.12

Thanks,
Riccardo

--