[Gluster-users] Add single server

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 07:40:10 UTC 2017

There is difference between server and bricks which we should understand.
When we say m+n = 6+2, then we are talking about the bricks.
Total number of bricks are m+n = 8.

Now, these bricks could be anywhere on any server. The only thing is that the server should be a part of cluster.
You can have all the 8 bricks on one server or on 8 different servers.
So, there is no *restriction* on number of servers when you add bricks. However, the number of bricks which you want to add should be in multiple of the
configuration you have.

In you case it should be 8, 16, 24....

"can I add a single node moving from 6:2 to 7:2 and so on ?"
You can not make 6+2 config volume to 7+2 volume. You can not change the *configuration* of an existing volume.
You can just add bricks in multiple to increase the storage capacity.

Ashish