[Gluster-users] Multiple bricks on same node

Valerio Luccio valerio.luccio at nyu.edu
Tue Apr 4 18:27:43 UTC 2017

I apologize if this has been answered before, I haven't found a
satisfying explanation.

I've just set up a new gluster. We have 4 servers and each has 3 RAIDS
with separate raid controller. I wanted to create one giant data space
and tried:

    $ gluster volume create Data replica 2 transport tcp
    host1:/brick1/data host1:/brick2/data host1:/brick3/data [...]
    host4:/brick3/data

This gave me the error message:

    volume create: MRIData: failed: Multiple bricks of a replicate
    volume are present on the same server. This setup is not optimal.
    Use 'force' at the end of the command if you want to override this
    behavior.

The 'force' option allowed me to create a volume and everything seems to
work. The question is, whys is this not optimal ? What are the potential
pitfalls ? I don't want to find myself with an unusable data space.
Also, does it make a difference the order in which I specify the bricks ?

Thanks,

--
Valerio Luccio             (212) 998-8736
Center for Brain Imaging   4 Washington Place, Room 158

    "In an open world, who needs windows or gates ?"