[Gluster-users] rebalance fix layout necessary

Amudhan P amudhan83 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 07:03:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have a query on rebalancing.

let's consider following is my folder hierarchy.

parent1-fol (parent folder)
              |_
                 class-fol-1 ( 1 st level subfolder)
                               |_
                                  A ( 2 nd level subfolder)
                                   |_
                                      childfol-1 (child folder created
every time before writing files)

Now, I have a running cluster with 3.10.1 with disperse volume and I am
planning to expand cluster by adding bricks.

will there be a problem using newly added bricks without doing a "rebalance
fix layout" other than existing files cannot be rebalanced to new brick and
files created under existing folder will not go to new brick?.

I tested above case in my test setup and observed files created under new
folder goes to new brick. and I don't see any issue on listing files and
folder.

so, My case is we create child folder every time before creating files.

The reason to avoid rebalance is I have more than 10000 folders across 1080
bricks. so triggering rebalance will take a long time and in my
previous expansion in 3.7 was not able to access some folders randomly
until fix layout completes.

regards
Amudhan