[Gluster-users] Performance testing

Krist van Besien krist at redhat.com
Mon Apr 3 13:36:57 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I build a Gluster 3.8.4 (RHGS 3.2) cluster for a customer, and I am having
some issue demonstrating that it performs well.

The customer compares it with his old NFS based NAS, and runs FIO to test
workloads.

What I notice is that FIO throughtput is only +-20Mb/s, which is not a lot.
When I do a simple test with dd I easily get 600Mb/s throughput.
In the fio job file the option "direct=1" is used, which bypasses caching.
If we run a fio job with direct=0 the performance goes up a lot, and is
near 600Mb/s as well.

The customer insists that on his old system (that Gluster should replace)
he could get 600Mb/s throughput with fio, with the setting direct=1. and
that he was rather underwhelmed by the performance of Gluster here.

What I need is answers to either:
- Have I overlooked something? I have not really done much tuning yet. Is
there some obvious paremeter I overlooked that could change the results of
a fio performance test?

or:

- Is testing with "direct=1" not really a way to test Gluster, as the cache
is a rather important part of what is needed to make gluster perform?

--
Vriendelijke Groet |  Best Regards | Freundliche Grüße | Cordialement