[Gluster-users] Permission denied based on file name when renaming

Michael Seidel michael.seidel at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Fri Sep 30 14:35:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

I recently deployed a GlusterFS system and observed the following
behaviour which leaves me quite puzzled:

I'm running glusterfs 3.7.1 in a replicated setup (2 replicas, see below).

1. Create a file with arbitrary content (irrelevant):
$ echo 123 > test

2. Copying the file works fine:
$ cp test test_2016.00

3. Remove the copy:
$ rm test_2016.00

4. Renaming the file fails:
$ mv test test_2016.00
mv: cannot move ‘test’ to ‘test_2016.00’: Permission denied

5. Choosing another filename works as expected:
$ mv test test_2017.00

I wonder if this could be related to some sort of hash collision (is
there a way to find out?) or if this is a known bug in this version. I
was however not able to find any reports describing this behaviour. Did
anyone observe a similar behaviour?

Cheers,
- Michael

Volume Name: XXXX_rep
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Volume ID: fc9493b4-1f89-4ec8-9a24-c7d4faf19959
Number of Bricks: 2 x 2 = 4
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: XXXX-gluster01.XXXXXX.XXX:/srv/gluster/bricks/brick1/g
Brick2: XXXX-gluster02.XXXXXX.XXX:/srv/gluster/bricks/brick1/g
Brick3: XXXX-gluster01.XXXXXX.XXX:/srv/gluster/bricks/brick4/g
Brick4: XXXX-gluster02.XXXXXX.XXX:/srv/gluster/bricks/brick4/g
Options Reconfigured:
cluster.self-heal-daemon: enable
server.root-squash: on
features.quota-deem-statfs: on
features.inode-quota: on
features.quota: on
performance.readdir-ahead: on
Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671