[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] GlusterFs upstream bugzilla components Fine graining

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 09:46:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:09:34PM +0530, Prasanna Kalever wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Muthu Vigneshwaran
> <mvignesh at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This an update to the previous mail about Fine graining of the
> > GlusterFS upstream bugzilla components.
> >
> > Finally we have come out a new structure that would help in easy
> > access of the bug for reporter and assignee too.
> >
> > In the new structure we have decided to remove components that are
> > listed as below -
> >
> > - BDB
> > - HDFS
> > - booster
> > - coreutils
> > - gluster-hdoop
> > - gluster-hadoop-install
> > - libglusterfsclient
> > - map
> > - path-converter
> > - protect
> > - qemu-block
>
> Well, we are working on bringing qemu-block xlator to alive again.
> This is needed in achieving qcow2 based internal snapshots for/in the
> gluster block store.

We can keep this as a subcomponent for now.

> Take a look at  http://review.gluster.org/#/c/15588/  and dependent patches.

Although we can take qemu-block back, we need a plan to address the
copied qemu sources to handle the qcow2 format. Reducing the bundled
sources (in contrib/) is important. Do you have a feature page in the
glusterfs-specs repository that explains the usability of qemu-block? I
have not seen a discussion on gluster-devel about this yet either,
otherwise I would have replied there...

Nobody used this before, and I wonder if we should not design and
develop a standard file-snapshot functionality that is not dependent on
qcow2 format.

Niels