[Gluster-users] What application workloads are too slow for you on gluster?

Gambit15 dougti+gluster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 19:52:07 UTC 2016

No problems with web hosting here, including loads of busy Wordpress sites
& the like. However you need to tune your filesystems correctly.
In our case, we've got webserver VMs running on top of a Gluster layer with
the following configurations...

   - Swap either disabled or strictly minimised with *vm.swappiness=10*
   - All filesystems are mounted with *relatime*
   - All logging is exported to an external server
   - Memcache on each server
   - nginx reverse proxy cache (Squid & Varnish'd also do the job)
   - APC PHP cache

Joe's even written a page
<https://joejulian.name/blog/optimizing-web-performance-with-glusterfs/>
about optimisations.

In all, the filesystem is only touched when a user uploads a file.
Everything else pretty much runs in memory.

This problem isn't so much Gluster's fault, as people trying to use a
distributed filesystem/volume like a local disk.