[Gluster-users] Fwd: Very slow performance when enabling tierd storage with SSD

Benjamin Kingston list at nexusnebula.net
Sat Sep 3 16:04:24 UTC 2016

Hello Rafi,

Thanks for the reply please see my answers below

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Mohammed Rafi K C <rkavunga at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi Benjamin,
>

> Can you tell us more about your work-load like the file size

Files are a range from 10GB test file generated from /dev/urandom, many
100MB folder separated files to smaller images and text files
This is a lab so typically there is no load, in the case of my testing this
issue the only file being accessed was the 10GB test file.

> , size of both hot and cold storage

Hot storage is a 315GB portion of a 512GB SSD
Cold storage is a replica made up of 3 bricks on two nodes. totaling 17TB

> how the files are created (after attaching the tier or before attaching
> the tier)

I've experienced performance issues with files created before hot
attachment, 10GB test file, and copying files to the volume after
attachment (100MB files)

> , how long have you been using the tier volume, etc.

At the moment I am not using the hot tier after discovering the performance
loss. I originally turned on after learning of the feature a month or so
ago. I feel like I may have actually had this issue since then because I
have been troubleshooting a network throughalput issue since then that was
contributing to a 4MB/s write to the volume. I recently resolved that issue
and the 4MB/s write was still observed until I removed the hot tier.

Unfortunate timing on both issues.