[Gluster-users] Announcing release 3.10 schedule

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 00:36:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

With release 3.9 just released (pending official announcement), it is
time to set the dates for release 3.10. Based on our release schedule
[1] 3.10 would be 3 months from the 3.9 release and would be a Long Term
Maintenance (LTM) release.

The calendar puts this very close Feb-14-2017, and so we are calling
this out as the release date, IOW we are targeting a *Valentine's
release* for 3.10.

Branching would be 4 weeks prior to the release, so the date for
branching falls on: *Jan-16-2017*

Scope and progress will be tracked here [2] (bookmark it :) )

Release owners:
   - Primary: Shyam <srangana at redhat.com>
   - Assisted by: Raghavendra Talur <rtalur at redhat.com>
   - Assisted by: Kaleb Keithly <kkeithle at redhat.com>

We are changing a few things on how we are managing this release, so if
you have features lined up for the release, read on!

Previously we were tracking a release using roadmap pages as in [3]. For
this release we are instead going to track the it using github
milestones instead.

This means, if you have a feature that you intend to deliver for this
release, you would need to raise an github issue [4] and send a mail to
the gluster devel list for inclusion of the same into the release
(optionally you can copy the users list, depending on the feature or
your discretion).

NOTE: *Users* are not being asked at this point in time to open github
issues for feature requests, please continue to use Bugzilla as the
method for filing requests (as before)

When sending a request for an issue to be considered for a release, we
would like you to cover which focus area the intended feature
contributes to, if it does not match any focus area listed, then please
call out the same. (see "Focus Areas" below to get a list of areas that
we intend to focus with Gluster).

Further, the mail or the issue posted at github, should also include
details on where the functional specification resides and other such
details (i.e links to gluster spec md pages or content [5], and it can
be a place holder or even a submitted gerrit request to that repository).

*NOTE:* Unfortunately as we transition to this mode of release planning,
we are requesting that you continue using bugzilla as well to track the
feature that you are proposing, so that other infrastructure services
(e.g gerrit) is not stumped when you point to a github issue instead of
a BZ in your commit.

Major gluster Focus Areas:
  - Testing Improvements
  - Technical Debt
  - Server Side Replication
  - Scalability Improvements
  - Performance Improvements
  - Must Fixes
  - Developer Experience
  - Container Integration
  - Client Side Caching

Watch this space for more updates!

For any questions or clarifications or brickbats, mail the lists, or
contact the release owners, we are here to help or take a beating ;)

If you reached here, stop reading and open your issue already!

Thanks and regards,
3.10 Release Owners

[1] Gluster release schedule:
https://www.gluster.org/community/release-schedule/