[Gluster-users] 3.7.16 with sharding corrupts VMDK files when adding and removing bricks

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:38:17 UTC 2016

> Obviously this is unacceptible for versions that have sharding as a
> functional (not experimental) feature. All supported features are
> expected to function without major problems (like corruption) for all
> standard Gluster operations. Add-brick/replace-brick are surely such
> Gluster operations.

Is sharding an experimental feature even in 3.8 ?
Because in 3.8 announcement, it's declared stable:
http://blog.gluster.org/2016/06/glusterfs-3-8-released/
"Sharding is now stable for VM image storage. "

> FWIW sharding has several open bugs (like any other component), but it
> is not immediately clear to me if the problem reported in this email is
> in Bugzilla yet. These are the bugs that are expected to get fixed in
> upcoming minor releases:
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=sharding&f1=bug_status&f2=version&o1=notequals&o2=notequals&product=GlusterFS&query_format=advanced&v1=CLOSED&v2=mainline

My issue with sharding was reported in bugzilla on 2016-07-12
4 months for a IMHO, critical bug.

If you disable sharding on a sharded volume with existing shared data,
you corrupt every existing file.