[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Is it possible to turn an existing filesystem (with data) into a GlusterFS brick ?

Saravanakumar Arumugam sarumuga at redhat.com
Sat Nov 12 17:44:53 UTC 2016

On 11/11/2016 09:09 PM, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Friday, November 11, 2016, 4:28:36 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Feature requests to in Bugzilla anyway.
>> Create your volume with the populated brick as brick one. Start it and "heal full".
> gluster> volume create testvolume transport tcp
> gluster> 192.168.1.1:/mnt/glusterfs/testdata/brick force
> volume create: private: success: please start the volume to access data
> gluster> volume heal testvolume full
> Launching heal operation to perform full self heal on volume testvolume has been unsuccessful on bricks that are down. Please check if all brick processes are running.
> gluster> volume start testvolume
> volume start: testvolume: success
> gluster> volume heal testvolume full
> Launching heal operation to perform full self heal on volume testvolume has been unsuccessful on bricks that are down. Please check if all brick processes are running.
>
> So it seems healing only works on volumes with 2 or more bricks.
> So that doesn't seem to workout very well.
Thanks for sharing the result.

Are you restricted to use only a single brick volume.
Because you can keep the data in single brick and add another empty
brick and try the above step.
( I am guessing what is possible here, not really tried this myself)

Anyway, I think this is a very interesting problem to solve.

Ref document for full heal :
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/doc/developer-guide/afr-self-heal-daemon.md

Thanks,
Saravana