[Gluster-users] Feedback on DHT option "cluster.readdir-optimize"

Kyle Johnson kjohnson at gnulnx.net
Tue Nov 8 15:01:25 UTC 2016

Hey there,

We have a number of processes which daily walk our entire directory tree
and perform operations on the found files.

Pre-gluster, this processes was able to complete within 24 hours of
starting.  After outgrowing that single server and moving to a gluster
setup (two bricks, two servers, distribute, 10gig uplink), the processes
became unusable.

After turning this option on, we were back to normal run times, with the
process completing within 24 hours.

Our data is heavy nested in a large number of subfolders under /media/ftp.

A subset of our data:

15T of files in 48163 directories under /media/ftp/dig_dis.

Without readdir-optimize:

[root at colossus dig_dis]# time ls|wc -l
48163

real    13m1.582s
user    0m0.294s
sys     0m0.205s

With readdir-optimize:

[root at colossus dig_dis]# time ls | wc -l
48163

real    0m23.785s
user    0m0.296s
sys     0m0.108s

Long story short - this option is super important to me as it resolved
an issue that would have otherwise made me move my data off of gluster.

Thank you for all of your work,

Kyle