[Gluster-users] Automation of single server addition to replica

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Wed Nov 9 18:32:21 UTC 2016

On 11/08/2016 10:53 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:

> Il 09 nov 2016 1:23 AM, "Joe Julian" <joe at julianfamily.org
> <mailto:joe at julianfamily.org>> ha scritto:
> >
> > Replicas are defined in the order bricks are listed in the volume
> create command. So gluster volume create myvol replica 2
> server1:/data/brick1 server2:/data/brick1 server3:/data/brick1
> server4:/data/brick1 will replicate between server1 and server2 and
> replicate between server3 and server4.
> >
> > See also
> https://joejulian.name/blog/how-to-expand-glusterfs-replicated-clusters-by-one-server/
> >

> i really hope this could be automated in newer gluster versions
> There is almost no sense to make a replica on the same server so gluster
> should automatically move bricks to preserve data consistency when
> adding servers.
>
> Ceph does this by moving objects around and you don't have to add
> servers in a multiple of replica

Yes, and ceph has a metadata server to manage this, which breaks
horribly if you have a cascading failure where your sas expanders start
dropping drives when the throughput reaches the max bandwidth (not that
I've /ever/ had that problem... <sigh>). The final straw in that failure
scenario is that the database could never converge between all the
monitors as the objects were moving around and eventually all 5 monitors
ran out of database space - losing the object map and all the data.

I'm not blaming ceph for that failure, but just pointing out that
gluster's lack of a metadata server is part of its design philosophy
which serves a specific engineering requirement that ceph does not
fulfill. Luckily, we have both tools to use where they're each most
appropriate.