[Gluster-users] Event threads effect

Pavel Szalbot pavel.szalbot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:47:20 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

I am trying to benchmark my cluster with fio's gfapi ioengine and evaluate
effect of various volume options on performance. I have so far observed
following:

1) *thread* options do not affect performance or thread count - htop always
show 2 threads on client, there are always 16 glusterfsd threads on server
2) running the same test locally (on the brick) shows up to 5x better
throughput than over 10GBe (MTU 9000, iperfed, pinged with DF set, no drops
on switches or cards, tcpdumped to check network issues)
3) performance.cache-size value has no effect on performance (32MB or 1GB)

I would expect raising client threads number leading to more TCP
connections, higher disk utilization and throughput. If I run multiple fio
jobs (numjobs=8), I am able to saturate the network link.

Is this normal or I am missing something really badly?

fio config:

[global]
name=gfapi test
create_on_open=1