[Gluster-users] Improving IOPS

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 13:16:15 UTC 2016

Il 06/11/2016 13:28, David Gossage ha scritto:
> I see maybe you don't really means raidz1 here.   Raidz1 usually
> refers to "raid5" type vdevs with at least 3 disks otherwise why pay a
> penalty for tracking parity when you can have a mirrored pair.  So in
> your case you are changing it from one zpool like was laid out to
> multiple zpools with each one being 1 mirrored vdev pair of disks?

I'm really sorry. I've mixed RAID1 with RAIDZ1 that means RAID5.
Sorry for that. Let's talk about 'standard raids': I mean RAID1
> So moving from a replicated to a distributed-replicated model?  or a
> striped-distributed-replicate?  what is the command or layout you
> would use to get to the model you are wanting to use?
I'm trying to say that the current Lindsay solution could be better (AFAIK):
Instead of using a single RAID10, where in case of a "mirror" failure
you have to resync the whole node from the network (24TB in my example),
a RAID1 solution (with 6 RAID1) is better. In case you loose a mirror,
you have to resync only that mirror from network because.

Instead of having a plain replicated setup:

server1:brick1, server2:brick1, server3:brick1

you'll have:

server1:brick1, server2:brick1, server3:brick1
server1:brick2, server2:brick2, server3:brick2
server1:brick3, server2:brick3, server3:brick3

In a distributed replicated setup.

Each brick is a RAID1 mirror. The aggregation like a RAID-0 is made by
gluster