[Gluster-users] Improving IOPS

David Gossage dgossage at carouselchecks.com
Sun Nov 6 02:37:26 UTC 2016

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> >:
> > Yah, I get that. For me willing to risk loosing the entire gluster node
> and
> > having to resync it, I see the odds as pretty low vs just losing one
> disk in
> > the RAID10 set and resilvering it locally.
>
> I don't see any advantage doing a single RAIDz10, only drawbacks.
> With multiple RAIDZ1 you get the same space, same features and same
> performances as a single RAIDZ10 but much more availability and safety
> for your data.

The only thing you gain with raidz1 I think is maybe more usable space.
Performance in general will not be as good, and whether the vdev is
mirrored or z1 neither can survive 2 drives failing.  In most cases the z10
will rebuild faster with less impact during rebuild. If you are already
using gluster 3 node replicate as VM practices suggest then you are already
pretty well protected if you lose the wrong 2 drives as well.