[Gluster-users] Improving IOPS

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Fri Nov 4 15:30:11 UTC 2016

Lindsay-

What’s your CPU and disk layout for those? You’re close to what I’m running, curious how it compares.

My prod cluster:
3x E5-2609 @ 1.9G, 6 core, 32G RAM, 2x10G network, parts of 2x samsung 850 pro used for zfs cache, no zil
2x 9 x 1G drives in straight zfs stripe
1x 8 x 2G drives in straight zfs stripe

I use lz4 compressions on my stores. The underlying storage seems to be capable of ~400MB/s writes and 1-1.5GB/s reads, although the pair of 850s I’m caching on probably max out around 1.2GB/s.

I found that event threads improved heal performance significantly, hadn’t had the oppourtunity to convert to shards yet, but everything is finally up to 3.7.14, so starting that today actually.

performance.quick-read: off
performance.read-ahead: off
performance.io-cache: off
performance.stat-prefetch: on
cluster.eager-lock: enable
network.remote-dio: enable
nfs.drc: off
server.event-threads: 3
client.event-threads: 8
performance.io-thread-count: 32
performance.low-prio-threads: 32

I use ovirt, so no gfapi yet. Haven’t done any hard core benchmarking, but I seem to be able to sustain 200+MB/s sequential writes from VMs, although things get a bit chunky if there’s a lot of random writing going on across the cluster. Holding up ~70 vms without too much trouble.

What are you doing to benchmark your IO?

  -Darrell