[Gluster-users] Questions about healing

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Sat May 21 21:51:32 UTC 2016

>    That's clear but if you have a cluster of 3, with replica 3, if you loose
>    a node, you have to heal the whole VM image as shards are not
>    distributed,A  as there aren't nodes to distribute to.
>
>    All nodes has all shards in my case.
>
>    Sharding would be useful in very large cluster where each chunk is
>    distributed but on small cluster doesn't change too much having a single
>    file or 500 files on the same server for the same VM image
>    you still have to heal everything every time you loose a node

Oh no, I'm doing the same thing. The problem you are thinking about I think is
present in 3.7.6, all shards are getting locked and it takes a while to heal
(still less time than without sharding, as you don't need to heal everything).

But with 3.7.11 the shards are getting locked only during the heal of that specific
shard. That means even if all your shards needs healing, each shard is only getting
locked a few seconds so the VM keeps running during the heal, it's great.

Now to be honest I have a corruption problem with that, but since I seem to be
the only one encountering it I think it might be hardware on my side, you really
should test it yourself to see how it works for you.

--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111