[Gluster-users] Questions about healing

Alastair Neil ajneil.tech at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:43:44 UTC 2016

Well it's not magic, there is an algorithm that is documented and it is
trivial script the recreation of the file from the shards if gluster was
truly unavailable:

> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # quick and dirty reconstruct file from shards
> # takes brick path and file name as arguments
> # Copyright May 20th 2016 A. Neil
> #
> brick=$1
> filen=$2
> file=`find $brick -name $filen`
> inode=`ls -i $file | cut -d' ' -f1`
> pushd $brick/.glusterfs
> gfid=`find . -inum $inode | cut -d'/' -f4`
> popd
> nshard=`ls -1  $brick/.shard/${gfid}.* | wc -l`
> cp $file ./${filen}.restored
> for i in `seq 1 $nshard`; do cat $brick/.shard/${gfid}.$i >>
> ./${filen}.restored; done

 Admittedly this is not as easy as pulling the image for from the brick
file system, but then the advantages are pretty big.

The point is that each shard is small and healing of them is fast.  The
majority of the time when you need to heal a vm it's is only a few blocks
that have changed and without sharding you might have to heal 10 , 20 or
100GB.  In my experience if you have 30 or 40 VMs it can take hours to
heal.  With the limited testing I have done I have found  that yes some VMs
will experience IO timeouts, freeze, and then need to be restarted.
However, at least you don't need to wait hours before you can do that.