[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Idea: Alternate Release process

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Thu May 19 05:59:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Kaushal M <kshlmster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in favour of a stable release every 2 months and an LTS once a
> year (option 2).

+1

> As Oleksander already suggested, I'm in favour of having well defined
> merge windows, freeze dates and testing period.
> (A slightly modified timeline from Oleksander's proposal follows)
> For every 2 month window,
> - 1 month of development (merge window). New features will not be
> accepted post this period.
> - At the end of the development period a release-candidate 1 is tagged.
> - A 1 month testing/bug-fixing window follows. This time is for
> testing and fixing bugs found.
>  Feature development and reviews can happen during this period on
> gerrit, but nothing gets merged. Merges will be held till the next
> merge window.

This means the branching is not done at the end of merge window and the
patches will not be merged even on the master branch. Is that right?

- At least 2 more release-candidates will be release once every fortnight
> - The final release-candidate becomes the release if it passes all our
> tests.
>
> One of the 6 releases of the year will become a LTS release.
> The 2 month window for this release will mainly be targeted at making
> the release stable.
> New features should be minimal for this release.

I really like this point. Taking 3.8 as a LTS release this would mean new
features for 3.14 release would not be encouraged.

> During every 2 month window, the LTS release will get any required bug
> fixes and stability improvements backported.
> For fix to be backported it needs to be present in a stable release.

+1