[Gluster-users] Self Heal Sync Speed after 3.7.11 and small file performance

Kayra Otaner | BilgiO kayra.otaner at bilgio.com
Fri May 6 14:59:30 UTC 2016

Hello there,

We've had serious CPU utilization issues with pre 3.7.9 GlusterFS, due to
huge number of small files. CPU load was going up to 40-50 (on 32 core
system) with nothing else running on it.
We've observed multiple other Gluster users reporting similar issues, and
waited for bug fix to be released. It seems like SHD freeze issue is
resolved with 3.7.10 and now we're upgrading 3.7.11 however now we're
observing very slow heal speed between nodes.

I see people are mostly using Gluster for storage backend to OpenStack to
house large VM images. I've used Gluster back in 2010, before RH purchase,
but my use case had smaller number of files back then.
Has anyone else have experience with hosting large number of small files on
GlusterFS cluster ?

Thank you

--
Kayra Otaner