[Gluster-users] Volume Tiering

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon May 2 22:14:56 UTC 2016

On 2/05/2016 10:15 PM, Mohammed Rafi K C wrote:

>> - I presume the files are promoted across all bricks. i.e you can't
>> have different files promoted per brick.
>>

> I didn't get your question correctly. But I will try to answer
> generically . File movement happens from one tier to another tier, as
> I mentioned earlier, you can consider this as moving one file from one
> volume to another volume.

I expressed it somewhat poorly. I was simplistically thinking of a one
to one mapping of a Replica 3 cold tier to a replica 3 hot tier on a 3
node compute cluster (basically what we have). Access to files would
only happen locally on the node, so it would be more efficient to just
promote the files that were accessed locally, which would vary from node
to node.

But that would defeat the whole concept of a  gluster tier :) what I am
describing is really just a simple SSD cache, which I already have with
the underlying ZFS pool with a SSD cache. So please ignore the question,
it was poorly thought out in the first place.

> As an example, let us assume, you are moving a file from hot tier
> (replica configuration) to a cold tier which is a distributed disperse
> configuration, then the file will be hashed to any of the distribute
> set, then the file will be created with ec meta data (data and parity).
>
> I'm  not sure, I made it more complicated ;).

No, it make perfect sense thanks.

TBH, I'm not sure that with my setup - Bricks on ZFS pool with SSD logs
& cache that a SSD tier would be a big improvement. It shall be
interesting to compare.

Cheers,

--
Lindsay Mathieson