[Gluster-users] Volume Tiering

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:36:24 UTC 2016

On 2/05/2016 2:29 PM, Mohammed Rafi K C wrote:
> Hi Lindsay,
>
> Volume level data tiering was made fully supported in latest 3.7
> releases, though an active effort is still going on to increase the
> small file performance. You can find a starting point through the blog
> post by Dan [1].
>
> Let me know if you have any additional questions.
>
> [1]  : http://blog.gluster.org/2016/03/automated-tiering-in-gluster/

Thanks Mohammed, an informative read. When things have settled down a
bit at work I'l setup a test volume to attach tiers to. Ironically, now
we've migrated the production env to gluster, my ability to test is
lessened  - can't tweak it arbitrarily now :)

Some questions:

- Does the hot tier replication level have to match the cold tier? i.e
brick for brick?

- I presume the files are promoted across all bricks. i.e you can't have
different files promoted per brick.

- With sharded volumes its the individual shards that are promoted?

thanks,

--
Lindsay Mathieson