[Gluster-users] Automatic arbiter volumes on distributed/replicated volumes with replica 2?

André Bauer abauer at magix.net
Tue Mar 29 20:03:56 UTC 2016

Am 24.03.2016 um 13:56 schrieb Ravishankar N:
> On 03/24/2016 04:30 PM, André Bauer wrote:
>> So if you have a 4 node cluster is it realy needed to have a third
>> replica? Imho the 2 of the nodes could also be used as arbiters?
> I'm not sure I understand. The 'arbiter' volume is a special type of
> replica volume where the 3rd brick of that replica (for every replica)
> only holds metadata. So if you're asking if this brick itself can be
> co-located on a node which holds the other 'data' bricks of the volume,
> then yes that is possible.

My Question is:

If i have 4 Nodes and use replica 2, why should i need to add 2 more
arbiter nodes, when i also have 2 (distributed) nodes which could do the
arbiter job automaticly?

Imho 4 nodes should be enough to get proper quorum even if only replica
2 is used.

Regards
André

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
André Bauer

MAGIX Software GmbH
André Bauer
Administrator
August-Bebel-Straße 48
01219 Dresden
GERMANY

tel.: 0351 41884875
e-mail: abauer at magix.net
abauer at magix.net <mailto:Email>
www.magix.com <http://www.magix.com/>

Geschäftsführer | Managing Directors: Dr. Arnd Schröder, Klaus Schmidt
Amtsgericht | Commercial Register: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 127205

Find us on:

<http://www.facebook.com/MAGIX> <http://www.twitter.com/magix_de>
<http://www.youtube.com/wwwmagixcom> <http://www.magixmagazin.de>
The information in this email is intended only for the addressee named
above. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and
may be unlawful. MAGIX does not warrant that any attachments are free
from viruses or other defects and accepts no liability for any losses
resulting from infected email transmissions. Please note that any
views expressed in this email may be those of the originator and do
not necessarily represent the agenda of the company.