[Gluster-users] Automatic arbiter volumes on distributed/replicated volumes with replica 2?

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 01:15:22 UTC 2016

On 03/30/2016 01:33 AM, André Bauer wrote:
> Am 24.03.2016 um 13:56 schrieb Ravishankar N:
>> On 03/24/2016 04:30 PM, André Bauer wrote:
>>> So if you have a 4 node cluster is it realy needed to have a third
>>> replica? Imho the 2 of the nodes could also be used as arbiters?
>> I'm not sure I understand. The 'arbiter' volume is a special type of
>> replica volume where the 3rd brick of that replica (for every replica)
>> only holds metadata. So if you're asking if this brick itself can be
>> co-located on a node which holds the other 'data' bricks of the volume,
>> then yes that is possible.
> My Question is:
>
> If i have 4 Nodes and use replica 2, why should i need to add 2 more
> arbiter nodes, when i also have 2 (distributed) nodes which could do the
> arbiter job automaticly?
Again, the term 'arbiter' is used to refer to a type of replica-3 volume
in gluster parlance (at least until another feature comes that uses the
same terminology ;-) ). A replica-2 configuration does not have an
'arbiter'.

> Imho 4 nodes should be enough to get proper quorum even if only replica
> 2 is used.
There are both client and server quorums in gluster.
http://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/arbiter-volumes-and-quorum/
has more information.
Thanks,
Ravi