[Gluster-users] How to recover after one node breakdown

Gaurav Garg ggarg at redhat.com
Thu Mar 17 06:51:34 UTC 2016

>> Could I run some glusterfs command on good node to recover the replicate volume, if I don't copy the files ,including  glusterd.info and other files,from good node to new node.

running glusterfs command is not enough to recover the replicate volume. for recovery you need to follow following steps.

1) remove /var/lib/glusterd/* data from new node (if in any case it present) then start glusterd on new node
1) kill glusterd on new node
2) from 1st node (which is in good condition) execute #gluster peer status command and copy the uuid from the peer status (you will see one failed node entry with hostname and uuid) and replace this UUID in node file /var/lib/glusterd/glusterd.info
from the 1st node you can also get the uuid of failed node by doing #cat /var/lib/glusterd/peer/* it will show uuid of failed node along with hostname/ip-address of failed node.
3) copy /var/lib/glusterd/peers/* to new node.
4) you need to rename one of the /var/lib/glusterd/peers/* file (you can find that file in new node by just matching the uuid of new node (/var/lib/glusterd/glusterd.info) with /var/lib/glusterd/peers/* file name) with the uuid of 1st node (/var/lib/glusterd/glusterd.info) and modify the content of the same file with having uuid of 1st node and hostname of 1st node.
5) now start glusterd on new node.
6) your volume will recover.

above steps are mandatory steps to recover failed node.

Thanks,

Regards,
Gaurav