[Gluster-users] Quorum and reboots

David Gossage dgossage at carouselchecks.com
Thu Mar 10 23:12:02 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Lindsay Mathieson <
lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/03/2016 2:24 AM, David Gossage wrote:
>
>>   It is file based not block based healing so it saw multi-GB files that
>> it had to recopy over.  It had to halt all write to those files while that
>> occurred or it would be a never ending cycle of re-copying the large
>> images.  So the fact most VM's went haywire isnt that odd.  It does look
>> based on timing in alerts the 2 bricks that were up kept serving images
>> until 3rd brick came back.  It did heal all images just fine.
>>

> What version are you running?  3.7.x has sharding (breaks large files into
> chunks) to allow much finer grained healing, it speeds up heals a *lot*.
> However it can't be applied retroactively, you have to enable sharding then
> copy the VM over :(
>
> http://blog.gluster.org/2015/12/introducing-shard-translator/

Yes, I was planning on testing that out soon at office I am on 3.7.
Attaching an nfs mount and moving disks off and on until all were sharded.

> In regards to rolling reboots, it can be done with replicated storage and
> gluster will transparently  hand over client read/writes, but for each VM
> image, only one copy at a time can be healing over wise access will be
> blocked as you saw.
>
> So recommended procedure:
> - Enable sharding
> - copy VM's over
> - when rebooting wait for heals to complete before rebooting the next node

Odd thing is I did only reboot the one node so I was expecting one version
to be healed, the one I had rebooted, and the other 2 to handle writes
still during the heal process.  However that was not what happened.