[Gluster-users] glusterfs debug build

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:14:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:02 PM, jayakrishnan mm
<jayakrishnan.mm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying  to  get  debug messages while running gluster commands thru'
> CLI.
>
> Steps
> --------
> make clean // for a clean build
>
> 1. ./autogen.sh
> 2. ./configure --enable-debug

`--enable-debug` sets the following CFLAGS, `-g -O0 -DDEBUG`, which
make the built binaries easier to debug using GDB. This doesn't enable
any hidden logging features for debugging.

> 3. make
> 4. sudo make install  --  DESTDIR=/
>
> But  I am  unable  to get  any  debug  messages on the console.
> I also  put some  printfs(). That is  also  not giving any output messages.
> Am I missing something ?

GlusterFS doesn't dump logs to console. The logs will be dumped to the
relevant log files. For the `gluster` CLI, the log file is
`/var/log/glusterfs/cli.log` for Gluster installed from packages.
To enable debug logs in the log file, use the option
`--log-level=DEBUG` with the CLI command, for eg. `gluster
--log-level=DEBUG volume info`. This works with all GlusterFS builds.