[Gluster-users] Default quorum for 2 way replication

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 12:30:05 UTC 2016

On 03/04/2016 05:47 PM, Bipin Kunal wrote:
> HI Pranith,
>
> Thanks for starting this mail thread.
>
> Looking from a user perspective most important is to get a "good copy"
> of data.  I agree that people use replication for HA but having stale
> data with HA will not have any value.
> So I will suggest to make auto quorum as default configuration even
> for 2-way replication.
>
> If user is willing to lose data at the cost of HA, he always have
> option disable it. But default preference should be data and its
> integrity.

That is the point. There is an illusion of choice between Data integrity
and HA. But we are not *really* giving HA, are we? HA will be there only
if second brick in the replica pair goes down. In your typical
deployment, we can't really give any guarantees about what brick will go
down when. So I am not sure if we can consider it as HA. But I would
love to hear what others have to say about this as well. If majority of
users say they need it to be auto, you will definitely see a patch :-).

Pranith