[Gluster-users] HA replica

Mike Stump mikestump at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 19:09:15 UTC 2016

On Mar 2, 2016, at 4:21 AM, Ravishankar N <ravishankar at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/18/2016 11:33 AM, Mike Stump wrote:
>> On Feb 13, 2016, at 6:21 PM, Ravishankar N <ravishankar at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> About the docs, could you list the links for client and server quorum where you found the details to be inadequate? I can't seem to find anything myself on readthedocs.:(
>>> I'm anyway planning to do a detailed write up for arbiter volumes, split-brains, client and server quorums which can serve as a ready reckoner.
> Hi,
> So I've made a write-up here: http://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/arbiter-volumes-and-quorum/
> Hope this is more explanatory.

Yes.  And, you explained some more details about replica 3 arbiter setups were one can still get splits on it that I think is vey helpful.  The documentation is good on the, if do X, you get Y.  It would be nice to have a if you want HA with no possibility of split brain, you must do X.  If you want HA with the possibility of split brain, you must to Y.  This allows one that knows what they want, to read the one sentence (and nothing else), and get HA with no possibility of split brain.  If they don’t know what split brain is, then can follow that link and read up on it.  And decide if they want it or not.  If you link HA to a glossary, you can then define what HA means.  Informally, I wanted to define a cluster that can sustain reads and writes without failure with no single point server failure mode.  Or put another way, I want to survive any single machine going down.  They can read what you define as HA, and see if that meets what they wanted.

Thank you for the updates and the information.