[Gluster-users] stripe 2 replica 2 VS disperse 4 redundancy 2

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Fri Jun 17 10:27:05 UTC 2016

Hola Manuel,

as Ravishankar has said, you should use sharding instead of stripe.

Regarding the disperse, the minimum number of servers you would need is
3. Disperse requires at least 3 bricks to create a configuration with
redundancy 1 (this is equivalent to a replica 2 in terms of redundancy),
but if you put 2 of those bricks in a single server and that server
dies, you will lose 2 bricks from a volume that only tolerates 1 brick
failure.

You can have 2 or more bricks per server and create a
distributed-disperse setup.

The "disperse 4" means that each disperse-set is made of 4 bricks.
"redundancy 2" means that two of those bricks will be redundant (i.e. it
will work fine with 2 bricks down). However disperse doesn't allow
redundancies greater or equal to "number of bricks" / 2.

With redundancy 2, the minimum number of bricks/servers should be 5.

For better performance in most cases, it's recommended to have a
configuration where "number of bricks" - "redundancy bricks" is a power
of 2 (i.e. 2, 4, 8 or 16).

Currently, replica is a bit faster than disperse, however with disperse
you waste less physical storage for the same usable space.

If you have enough servers, you should try it and see if the performance
is good enough for your workload.

Xavi