[Gluster-users] GlusterFS over S3FS

Vincent Miszczak vmiszczak at ankama.com
Thu Jun 16 08:14:29 UTC 2016

Hello,

Thank you for pointing this project, gonna try this.

The idea behind what I described, is to provide SMB shares with automatic placement based on usage pattern.

I work with large volumes, and only a fraction should have good (costly) performance. The rest can be archived.

Archiving "the old way" (I mean manually moving the files to a cold tier) is not convenient, it breaks URLs, unless someone has some tips about this.

I'm able to do the scenario described with normal Gluster nodes, some local with costly storage, some remotes with cheap storage. It's just tiering.

But I still have to manage the Linux behind the cold tier. Not interesting to me as AWS, Google or whatever can provide cheap object storage without maintenance (that means, less people in my organization to achieve the same job).

Vincent