[Gluster-users] Problem with glusterd locks on gluster 3.6.1

B.K.Raghuram bkrram at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 05:19:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Atin Mukherjee <amukherj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/15/2016 04:24 PM, B.K.Raghuram wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We're using gluster 3.6.1 and we periodically find that gluster commands
> > fail saying the it could not get the lock on one of the brick machines.
> > The logs on that machine then say something like :
> >
> > [2016-06-15 08:17:03.076119] E
> > [glusterd-op-sm.c:3058:glusterd_op_ac_lock] 0-management: Unable to
> > acquire lock for vol2
>
> This is a possible case if concurrent volume operations are run. Do you
> have any script which checks for volume status on an interval from all
> the nodes, if so then this is an expected behavior.

Yes, I do have a couple of scripts that check on volume and quota status..
Given this, I do get a "Another transaction is in progress.." message which
is ok. The problem is that sometimes I get the volume lock held message
which never goes away. This sometimes results in glusterd consuming a lot
of memory and CPU and the problem can only be fixed with a reboot. The log
files are huge so I'm not sure if its ok to attach them to an email.

> > After sometime, glusterd then seems to give up and die..
>
> Do you mean glusterd shuts down or segfaults, if so I am more interested
> in analyzing this part. Could you provide us the glusterd log,
> cmd_history log file along with core (in case of SEGV) from all the
> nodes for the further analysis?

There is no segfault. glusterd just shuts down. As I said above, sometimes
this happens and sometimes it just continues to hog a lot of memory and
CPU..

> > Interestingly, I also find the following line in the beginning of
> > etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log and I dont know if this has any
> > significance to the issue :
> >
> > [2016-06-14 06:48:57.282290] I
> > [glusterd-store.c:2063:glusterd_restore_op_version] 0-management:
> > Detected new install. Setting op-version to maximum : 30600

What does this line signify?