[Gluster-users] Fwd: glusterfs .vib package

Ben Werthmann ben at apcera.com
Tue Jun 14 16:26:26 UTC 2016

Atris,

I can't speak for the Gluster project, but as I understand it, there is no
.vib package to enable NFS VAAI in the builtin Gluster NFS server. The
direction appears to be to phase out Gluster's built-in NFS service in
favor of nfs-ganesha. In 3.8 Gluster's built-in NFS is off by default.
Ganesha offers a number of nice features (like NFS 4.1 support). I'm not
sure if vSphere 6 (which supports NFS 4.1) + nfs-ganesha + gluster has been
tested. If a VAAI Extension Module was going to be developed, Ganesha is
the best place to do it at this time.

This document outlines what is required from VMware to create such a plugin:
https://developercenter.vmware.com/programs/vaai-nas
https://vdc-download.vmware.com/vmwb-repository/dcr-public/d8906187-e988-474f-87af-2fdc68917add/306ea451-7619-4463-ab8f-2c52e1208a9e/VAAINAS%20Program%20Guide%20Oct2015.pdf
http://www.punchingclouds.com/2015/02/19/vsphere-virtual-volumes-interoperability-vaai-apis-vs-vvols/

I suspect that if this feature will be added, it would be added to
nfs-ganesha and not built-in NFS.

Hope this helps,

Ben