[Gluster-users] QEMU

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Mon Jun 13 22:05:51 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:17:04PM +0200, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> Hi to all
> anyone using gluster for qemu?
> I was looking at this:
> https://raobharata.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/qemu-glusterfs-native-integration/
>
> performance seems to be interesting, almost the same as local storage
> (pretty strange to me)
>
> Anyone willing to share experience about this?
> all "vm" related platforms seems to looking at Ceph when shared
> storage is needed (and I don't understand why, gluster is much easier
> to build and maintain)

Yep, using it with proxmox so it's qemu.
Performances seems good, but it does depend on the setup.
I know currently our production cluster is using 3.7.6 on 3 nodes
across 2 datacenters, with 10ms ping between them. Seemed mostly fine
at first but a client complained about performances, so I installed
a 3.7.11 cluster between 3 nodes across two datacenters closer together
(same town so not much ping between) and did some testing, it's a lot better
and the client was happy.
I don't know how much the update contributed, but I assume the ping is
playing a bit part in this.

I could send you the bonnie++ results from those two tests tomorrow if you want,
kept that at work.
I'll probably test that again with 3.7.12 just to compare.

--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111