[Gluster-users] Fuse memleaks, all versions

Yannick Perret yannick.perret at liris.cnrs.fr
Fri Jul 29 08:56:35 UTC 2016

Ok, last try:
after investigating more versions I found that FUSE client leaks memory
on all of them.
I tested:
- 3.6.7 client on debian 7 32bit and on debian 8 64bit (with 3.6.7
serveurs on debian 8 64bit)
- 3.6.9 client on debian 7 32bit and on debian 8 64bit (with 3.6.7
serveurs on debian 8 64bit)=
- 3.7.13 client on debian 8 64bit (with 3.8.1 serveurs on debian 8 64bit)
- 3.8.1 client on debian 8 64bit (with 3.8.1 serveurs on debian 8 64bit)
In all cases compiled from sources, appart for 3.8.1 where .deb were
used (due to a configure runtime error).
For 3.7 it was compiled with --disable-tiering. I also tried to compile
with --disable-fusermount (no change).

In all of these cases the memory (resident & virtual) of glusterfs
process on client grows on each activity and never reach a max (and
never reduce).
"Activity" for these tests is cp -Rp and ls -lR.
The client I let grows the most overreached ~4Go RAM. On smaller
machines it ends by OOM killer killing glusterfs process or glusterfs
dying due to allocation error.

In 3.6 mem seems to grow continusly, whereas in 3.8.1 it grows by
"steps" (430400 ko → 629144 (~1min) → 762324 (~1min) → 827860…).

All tests performed on a single test volume used only by my test client.
Volume in a basic x2 replica. The only parameters I changed on this
volume (without any effect) are diagnostics.client-log-level set to
ERROR and network.inode-lru-limit set to 1024.

This clearly prevent us to use glusterfs on our clients. Any way to
prevent this to happen? I still switched back to NFS mounts but it is
not what we're looking for.

Y.