[Gluster-users] Clarification about remove-brick

Mohammed Rafi K C rkavunga at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 06:09:32 UTC 2016

I will summarize the procedure for removing a brick with description.

1) start an add brick operation using gluster volume remov-brick
command. This command will mark the mentioned brick as a decommissioned
brick. Also, this will kick a process that will start migrating data
from the decommissioned brick to the other bricks.

2) Once the migration is finished you can safely do a remove-brick commit.

3) Or if you wish to stop the process and reset the decommissioned
brick, you can do remove-brick stop. This will not migrate the data back
to the decommissioned brick. It will stay in the other bricks and the
data will be still accessible, if you want to have proper load balancing
after this, you can start rebalance process.

4) If you wish to do an instant remove brick you can use force option,
which will not migrate data, hence your whole data in the removed brick
will be lost from mount point.