[Gluster-users] gluster NFS/rpcbind conflict

Yannick Perret yannick.perret at liris.cnrs.fr
Mon Jul 18 18:28:59 UTC 2016

Hello,
just a note to give feedback on a known problem:
I have 2 replica servers and for some reasons I use NFS mounts on one of
my clients (because it is an old one with which I have troubles with
glusterfs native client).
I managed to performs NFS mounts from on of the servers but failed on
the other.

I was happy to find a thread about this problem: it is rpcbind started
by default with "-w" option that lead rpcbind to re-use NFS-server ports
even if no more NFS server is running (but it did on this machine).
Removing the "-w" option and restarting rpcbind works fine.

This mail is only to suggest to add this on documentations pages for
glusterfs as it seems than other people met this problem.
In a more general way why not adding a "troubleshooting" section to
documentation? I parsed official documentations and found the solution
reading bugreports threads. It seems that this problem still exists on
(at least) recent Debians - that I'm using - so it may save time to
other users.

Other suggestion: indicating on docs that it may be disk-saving to
switch volumes to WARNING level-log (for clients). INFO is far too
verbose for production (at least on 3.6.x) and should only be used when
starting using glusterfs.

Note: this is just improvement suggestions, that may save time to other
people. glusterfs is very fine for our needs and we are happy to use it :)

Best regards,
--
Y.