[Gluster-users] GlusterFS on FreeBSD

Kyle Johnson kjohnson at gnulnx.net
Thu Jul 14 05:33:33 UTC 2016

Hey there,

Installed, yes.  Properly?  Kind of.

I'm running gluster 3.7.6 with a two-node distributed volume between a
centos and a freebsd peer.

There is currently a bug where gluster on freebsd is not able to
correctly determine file system information.  That is, on my freebsd
peer with ~40T of storage, gluster is reporting 12.6PB of storage.  As
gluster believes this server has (far) more available storage, it sends
most of the data on a volume to the brick(s) on that server.

This causes the disk space on the freebsd server to fill up well before
the other server does.

$ sudo gluster volume status ftp detail
Status of volume: ftp

Brick                : Brick 192.168.110.1:/tank/bricks/ftp
TCP Port             : 49159
RDMA Port            : 0
Online               : Y
Pid                  : 69547
Disk Space Free      : 2.5PB
Total Disk Space     : 12.6PB
Inode Count          : 21097221251
Free Inodes          : 21087351972

Brick                : Brick 192.168.110.2:/ftp/bricks/ftp
TCP Port             : 49152
RDMA Port            : 0
Online               : Y
Pid                  : 1087
Disk Space Free      : 39.3TB
Total Disk Space     : 46.3TB
Inode Count          : 84298676694
Free Inodes          : 84297712404

$ zfs list -r tank
NAME          USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank         40.5T  9.82T   153K  /tank
tank/bricks  40.5T  9.82T  40.5T  /tank/bricks

My temporary workaround is to disable weighted-rebalance:

[kyle at colossus ~]$ sudo gluster volume set ftp
cluster.weighted-rebalance off

I haven't tested this on any other freebsd boxes, nor have I tested
other types of volumes (e.g. replicated).

In addition, I wasn't able to get the gluster fuse mount to work on
freebsd, though I did not try very hard.

As for the install:  $ sudo pkg install glusterfs

Hope this helps,

Kyle