[Gluster-users] 3.7.13, index healing broken?

Dmitry Melekhov dm at belkam.com
Wed Jul 13 04:50:41 UTC 2016

13.07.2016 08:43, Pranith Kumar Karampuri пишет:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Dmitry Melekhov <dm at belkam.com
> <mailto:dm at belkam.com>> wrote:
>
>     13.07.2016 07:46, Pranith Kumar Karampuri пишет:
>>

>>     On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Dmitry Melekhov <dm at belkam.com
>>     <mailto:dm at belkam.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         12.07.2016 17:39, Pranith Kumar Karampuri пишет:
>>>         Wow, what are the steps to recreate the problem?
>>
>>         just set file length to zero, always reproducible.
>>

>>     Changing things on the brick i.e. not from gluster volume mount
>>     is not something you want to do. In the worst case(I have seen
>>     this only once in the last 5 years though) where you do this it
>>     can lead to data loss also. So please be aware of it.
>
>     Data replication with gluster is a way to avoid data loss, right?
>     Or no? If not- why use gluster then?
>     I though that gluster self-healing will heal or at least report
>     missed files or files with wrong lenths- i.e. corruptions visible
>     just by reading brick's directory,
>     not comparing data as bit rot detection...
>     If this is not a bug, then gluster is not what I expected :-(
>

> Yes Data replication with gluster is a way to avoid data loss.
> Changing files directly on the brick is similar to changing internal
> data structures of a disk filesystem. Or changing the internal files
> of a database. Things may stop working as you expect it to. All the
> hardwork done by the stack is nullified if you fiddle with the data on
> the brick directly. To put it succinctly you enter into the area of
> undefined behavior if you start fiddling with the data on the brick
> directly. Unless it is a documented behaviour I suggest you don't do it.

Sorry, I'm talking not about direct data manipulation in bricks as way
to use gluster, I'm talking about problems detection and recovery.
As I already said- if I for some reason ( real case  can be only by
accident ) will delete file this will not be detected by self-heal
daemon, and, thus, will lead to lower replication level, i.e. lower
failure tolerance.