[Gluster-users] split-brain recovery automation, any plans?

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Tue Jul 12 20:20:00 UTC 2016

FYI, it’s my experience that “yum upgrade” will stop the running glistered (and possibly the running glusterfsds) during it’s installation of new gluster components. I’ve also noticed it starts them back up again during the process.

Ie, yesterday I upgraded a system to 3.7.13:

systemctl stop glusterd
<manually kill all glusterfsds>
yum upgrade

and discovered that glusterd was running again, and had started during the yum upgrade processing. All it’s glusterfsds had also started. Somewhat annoying, actually, because I had been planning to reboot the server to switch to the latest kernel as part of the process, but really didn’t feel like interrupting the heals at that time.

This probably didn’t have much impact on you, but it would have restarted any healing that was a result of the upgrade downtime twice. You may have caused yourself some extra wait for the first round of healing to conclude if stuff was using those volumes at the time. If you didn’t wait for those to conclude before starting your next upgrade, you could have caused a split brain on affected active files.

  -Darrell