[Gluster-users] Expand distributed replicated volume

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 10:34:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Alternatively you can replace 4 selected bricks on the first 3 nodes with
> > the 4 disks on the new machine. Now you have 4 bricks that can be reused.
> > Form extra 2 replica sets with 3 bricks each and you are done.
>
> This is unclear to me.
> Are you saying to create a new replica set with the newly added bricks
> or with the older replaced bricks ?

If you add 6 new disks to the cluster by bringing in a new node with
replica count 3 you are essentially are adding 2 replica sets. Since you
can't have replica sets with bricks from same node, we need to get empty
bricks from other nodes which require replace-brick operation.

> This is not what I want. I would like to *add* bricks and increase
> spaces to the same volume/replica set.

We essentially did add-bricks at the end :-).

--
Pranith