[Gluster-users] to RAID or not?

Russell Purinton russell.purinton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 17:54:31 UTC 2016

The fault tolerance is provided by Gluster replica translator.

RAID0 to me is preferable to JBOD because you get 3x read performance and 3x write performance.   If performance is not a concern, or if you only have 1GbE, then it may not matter, and you could just do JBOD with a ton of bricks.

The same method scales to how ever many servers you need… imagine them in a ring…

server1 A & B   replica to server 2 C & D
server2 A & B   replica to server 3 C & D
server3 A & B   replica to server 1 C & D

Adding a 4th server?  No problem… you can move the reconfigure the bricks to do
server1 A & B   replica to server 2 C & D
server2 A & B   replica to server 3 C & D
server3 A & B   replica to server 4 C & D
server4 A & B   replica to server 1 C & D

or 5 servers
server1 A & B   replica to server 2 C & D
server2 A & B   replica to server 3 C & D
server3 A & B   replica to server 4 C & D
server4 A & B   replica to server 5 C & D
server5 A & B   replica to server 6 C & D

I guess my recommendation is not the best for redundancy and data protection… because I’m concerned with performance, and space, as long as I have 2 copies of the data on different servers then I’m happy.

If you care more about performance than space, and want extra data redundancy (more than 2 copies), then use RAID 10 on the nodes, and use gluster replica.  This means you have every byte of data on 4 disks.

If you care more about space than performance and want extra redundancy use RAID 6, and gluster replica.

I always recommend gluster replica, because several times I have lost entire servers… and its nice to have the data on more than server.