[Gluster-users] More Peculiar heal behaviour after removing brick

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 03:50:52 UTC 2016

Maybe I'm doing some wrong here but I'm not sure what, or maybe this is
normal behaviour?

All of the following is performed from my vna node which has the highest
numbered uuid. Indenting applied by me for readability.

Spoiler, because it happens at the end: removing  the vng brick followed
by a full heal gives this error:
   "*Commit failed on vng.proxmox.softlog. Please check log file for
details."*

Sets to recreate:
1.    Create a test volume:

    vna$ gluster volume create test3 rep 3 transport tcp
    vnb.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3 vng.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3
    vna.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3
    vna$ gluster volume set test3 group softlog
    vna$ gluster volume info test3

        Volume Name: test3
        Type: Replicate
        Volume ID: 0be89d63-775c-4eb5-9d98-0a4a87f30fbf
        Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
        Transport-type: tcp
        Bricks:
        Brick1: vnb.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3
        Brick2: vng.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3
        Brick3: vna.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3
        Options Reconfigured:
        cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: full
        network.remote-dio: enable
        cluster.eager-lock: enable
        performance.io-cache: off
        performance.read-ahead: off
        performance.quick-read: off
        performance.stat-prefetch: off
        performance.strict-write-ordering: on
        performance.write-behind: off
        nfs.enable-ino32: off
        nfs.addr-namelookup: off
        nfs.disable: on
        performance.cache-refresh-timeout: 4
        performance.io-thread-count: 32
        performance.low-prio-threads: 32
        cluster.server-quorum-type: server
        cluster.quorum-type: auto
        client.event-threads: 4
        server.event-threads: 4
        cluster.self-heal-window-size: 256
        features.shard-block-size: 512MB
        features.shard: on
        performance.readdir-ahead: off

    vna$ gluster volume start test3

2.    Immediately remove the vng brick:

    vna$ gluster volume remove-brick test3 replica 2
    vng.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3 force
    vna$ gluster volume info test3

        Volume Name: test3
        Type: Replicate
        Volume ID: 36421a23-68c4-455d-8d4c-e21d9428e1da
        Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
        Transport-type: tcp
        Bricks:
        Brick1: vnb.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3
        Brick2: vna.proxmox.softlog:/vmdata/test3
[...]

3.    Then run a full heal:

    vna$ gluster volume heal test3 full
    *Commit failed on vng.proxmox.softlog. Please check log file for
    details.*

Weird, because of cause the vng brick has been removed. This happens
every time.

I have preserved the glustershd logs from vna & vng if needed. There
were no heal logs.

--
Lindsay Mathieson