[Gluster-users] Understand how Distributed in .glustefs works

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 05:14:30 UTC 2016

On 01/19/2016 08:04 PM, Taste-Of-IT wrote:
> Hello,
> i have a glusterfs distributed volume and had a raid problem. after
> solving this i could start the volume and had problem with files.  now
> i want to move working files direct from one node to a new distributed
> volume. How does the linksystem works? if i have a
> distribute-replicate with factor 2, i would have 2 links for each
> file, correct? so in my case i have only 1 hardlink for each file,
> right? so if i move the files direct, the size of the .glusterfs
> folder will decrease, right? actually it seems when i move files
> direct, the space at all decrease too, but should be nearly the same,
> right?

Joejulian wrote a nice blog when we first introduced the link system at
the time of 3.3
https://joejulian.name/blog/what-is-this-new-glusterfs-directory-in-33/

Yes you will have 2 links for each file. 1) at the path you created the
file. 2) inside .glusterfs/ab/cd/abcd....
I didn't understand how you ended up with single link for each of the
file. Which operation lead to this state? Without understanding this,
won't be able to answer the rest of the questions :-(.

Pranith