[Gluster-users] Shard in production

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 00:52:09 UTC 2016

Heh, thanks Krutika.

I believe its pretty much there, have been stress testing it on our
production VM cluster for weeks, though not with critical VM's. It is a
huge improvement when for the heal process when dealing with large VM's.
Failure modes have been very reliable to.

Nb. All my testing has been VM's - e.g a few large files with only one
process accessing them. I can't speak to the many thousands of
dirs/files use case.

If you are using it for VM hosting (as you are) then it is essential
that you set the "virt" group properties, other wise you will end up
with VM corruption. These are the settings I've evolved over my testing:

    Options Reconfigured:
    performance.readdir-ahead: off
    features.shard: on
    features.shard-block-size: 512MB
    cluster.self-heal-window-size: 256
    server.event-threads: 4
    client.event-threads: 4
    cluster.quorum-type: auto
    cluster.server-quorum-type: server
    performance.low-prio-threads: 32
    performance.io-thread-count: 32
    performance.cache-refresh-timeout: 4
    nfs.disable: on
    nfs.addr-namelookup: off
    nfs.enable-ino32: off
    performance.write-behind: off
    performance.strict-write-ordering: on
    performance.stat-prefetch: off
    performance.quick-read: off
    performance.read-ahead: off
    performance.io-cache: off
    cluster.eager-lock: enable
    network.remote-dio: enable
    cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: full

On 21/01/16 02:06, Krutika Dhananjay wrote:
> Adding Lindsay Mathieson, who has tested sharding with VM store
> extensively. :)
>
> -Krutika

Lindsay Mathieson