[Gluster-users] unable to change group ownership for some groups

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 09:49:11 UTC 2016

Hi group/list,

I am in the process of trying out Glusterfs, and I have come across a
rather strange permission issue. The problem is this:
I have one user (my personal account) who is unable to set group
ownership of a file to certain groups.

frvdamme at rondon /mnt/TEST $  chgrp group1 glfilme /tmp/localfile
chgrp: changing group of `glfile': Operation not permitted

I am member of the group.
I own the files.
Other users, members of that group, CAN chgrp the file.
I can read files owned by group1, even with permissions g+r,o-rwx, where
I am not the owner.
It happens with a number of groups, but not all of them.
I even tried my luck in the storage backend on the server, where the
files are saved with verbatim permissions, and I am allowed to chgrp the
files as a non-root user.

All my users and groups are in LDAP, buth server and client side - in
fact, I have a replicated brick on two servers, and the machine above is
one of them. So I am mounting the volume on one of the servers.
(For the record, I have an NFS server running somewhere else, and LDAP
groups work just fine client to server).

I checked for duplicate uid's or gid's in the passwd file, but there are
none.

OS: Debian 7
GlustgerFS version: 3.6.8, both client and server (since they are the
same machine in the example).

Clarifications are welcome.

--
Frank Van Damme