[Gluster-users] Glusterfs NFS performance issue

Pavel Riha Pavel.Riha at trilogic.cz
Mon Feb 29 09:55:23 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have read some recent post about performance issues, complaining about the
fuse driver and recomended NFS..

although my final goal is replicate volume, I'm now just doing some test for
reference.

my basic benchmark is
dd if=/dev/zero of=ddtest bs=1M count=1000 conv=fsync

running directly on server xfs partition give me 120-130 MB/s .. OK

on client NFS mount using _KERNEL_ nfs server give me 100-112MB/s .. OK

but a pure "nfs replacement" gluster config (one brick distribute) give me
sometimes 112 and sometimes only 64 !!!  any idea why so unstable?
I was watching top,iotop and iftop .. and no idea, the resources were free

but the real problem comes with my second benchmark, untar the kernel sources
tar xjf /usr/portage/distfiles/linux-3.2.tar.bz2

on server localy  .. 16sec
kernel nfs mount  .. 1:30
gluster nfs mount .. 23min !!! what???

is this the small files issue? so much? even on nfs?

my last quick test with gluster native (fuse) mount, give me
46MB/s for dd (really slow for non replicate) and
3:58 for the sources untar (not the best, but much much better than gluster nfs)

I have done no tunning at all yet. But I thought I will get much better numbers
for the one brick distribute. And expected tuning with the replica..

server is CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz with 4GB RAM, 7200rpm hdd
client is old i5 661 @ 3.33GHz, 4GB RAM
gigabit ethernet
glusterfs-3.7.4